The Oakwood Restoration Committee
Virginia Division Sons of Confederate Veterans
COMPLETED RESTORATION PROJECTS
LIEUTENANT DUNCAN C. STAFFORD
On November 4, 2006, there was a memorial ceremony for Lt. D. C. Stafford at his newly restored resting site. He is one of the few officers entered in the Confederate section, and the only soldier to have family placed perimeter coping and iron work surrounding his plot. Over the years of neglect, two trees had grown inside of the small area that encompassed his grave. These trees were unchecked and reached approximately 12 inches in diameter, literally destroying the granite coping. Some time in 2005, his original iron work was stolen. The committee set about to right this wrong. There were no corners cut, and his grave was returned to the dignified appearance that he so richly deserved. The South Carolina Sons of Confederate Veterans stepped up to the plate to fund this important project. A new bronze plaque was placed on his iron work by the Virginia Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans.
PRIVATE JOHN TOOMER YOUNG
One of the many remarkable sad stories is of John Toomer Young from Guadalupe County, Texas. He fell in the battle for Gaines Mill on June 27, 1862, and died August 5, 1862. His stone is one of just a handful placed by family. In May, 1863 his friend and mess mate Nelson Mays carried out the family wishes concerning his marker. A descendant of John’s had come to Oakwood looking for him in 2007 and could not find his stone. On a second trip, the stone was eventually found with the help of Robert E. Lee Krick and other members of the Oakwood Restoration Committee. Although broken, with pieces missing, and partially buried, there was enough recovered to have it recreated. This was a hand carved, ornate piece of marble standing approximate 4 feet tall, not counting the original base, which was not recovered. We assisted the family in the placement of the new monument and shipped the old to Texas. Sadly, two months after Nelson Mays saw to the placement of his friends tombstone, he was killed with Hood’s 4th Texas on the second day of Gettysburg at the Devil’s Den. His body was never recovered. Stone restored November 20, 2007
UNKNOWN SOUTHERN SOLDIERS MONUMENT
The remembrance stone was dedicated to the many unknown Confederate Soldiers that had fallen upon the field of battle, and who died from diseases contracted from exposure in the line of duty.
We do not know their names, but we do know of their great display of bravery and fortitude that these soldiers of the Southern States, put forth in defense of those principles of self government which had been instilled in them from the founding fathers,
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY
OF THE THOUSANDS OF
CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS WHO
GAVE THEIR ALL AND WHO
REPOSE HERE KNOWN BUT
CONFEDERATE SECTION MARKERS
On December 3, 2010, beautiful, heavy and much needed rock pitch granite section markers were installed. The seven sections at Oakwood (A through G) were only defined by deteriorated 6" X 6" marble blocks, exactly like the numbered blocks, poorly referencing the soldiers. This made it almost impossible for the average person to locate the section of their loved one.
CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS' MONUMENT
The monument is in memory of 16,128 Confederate Soldiers from the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia that are buried in Oakwood Confederate Section.
In the Summer of 2009, the Oakwood Restoration Committee cleaned and restored the Soldier's Monument (tall oblisk) back to its original condition
In 2010, most of the restoration of the soldiers’ monument was completed. A high quality iron work fence surrounded the soldiers’ monument prior to 1916. It is believed that the fence was removed between 1916 and 1917, in part to supply iron and steel to the World War One effort. Prior to its removal, several post cards were made from multiple pictures of this impressive and meaningful monument. The committee worked closely with Colonial Iron Works in Petersburg, VA to see that the new iron work matched the old, picket for picket. Sometime in the first half of the 20 century, concrete was poured around of the base of the monument to cover an original flower bed. This concrete was removed by hand, and the bed brought back in period plantings. After cleaning the entire shaft and multiple granite bases, the obelisk is restored close to the original grandeur of the late 19 century. Every southern state is listed in honor.
CEMETERY STREET SIGNAGE
In January 2011, new replacement signage was installed by a sign company contracted by the City of Richmond. The committee worked with the city supplying the names of the streets and lanes in Oakwood that were found on a 1923 map. Many of the signs were missing some were broken but all pertained to Confederate names. We are grateful to the city for this much needed upgrade. The new sign poles are powder coated Confederate gray.
COFEDERATE VETERANS FLAGPOLE
The old cemetery pole was replaced with a new up to date flag pole with internal ropes.
National Flags of the Confederacy, now fly high over the green fields were valor proudly sleeps.
It floats softly and majestic through the air as a tribute to the 16,128 confederate soldiers and sailors laid to rest at Oakwood Cemetery. A remembrance of courage, love of their country, of honor, and their devotion to God.
VIRGINIA CIVIL WAR TRAIL MARKER
Oakwood Cemetery is now listed on the prominent and nationally recognized Virginia Civil War Trails in 2012, which links it to hundreds of civil war sites in three states. The informational Kiosk stands inside the cemetery to help interpret to visitors the history of the Confederate Section in Oakwood Cemetery.
CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL SPEAKER STAND
Speakers Stand / Gazebo for the past 15 years the foundation / steps of the speakers stand and other details concerning this unique historical accent of the Confederate section has been the cause of great concern. No less than a half a dozen professionals, conservators and contractors have given opinions for a solution for this restoration. The Oakwood Committee has worked closely with the Department of Historic Resources and has finally settled on the solution.
Thanks to a large donation from a concerned foundation, work was completed on June 26, 2013.
OAKWOOD CEMETERY MEMORIAL ENTRANCEWAY
The entranceway at Oakwood Avenue had reached a point that it required widening to accommodate todays vehicles, and the columns needed to be stabilized after being struck by vehicles. Unfortunately rumors and lies were started that the columns would be placed on top of Confederate Soldiers.
To expel these myths and lies, we start with the original entranceway of 1880 and take you through its history and the restoration project step-by step.
The first entranceway was installed in 1880, the gate was added in 1883. To help explain the story of the entranceway we marked the columns as A, B, C, and D. Note the Street curves with the trolley tracks and the grave marked in the back ground.
In 1940 do to vehicle traffic in and out of the cemetery a second entranceway and gate was added. Columns “D” was removed and place to the far left. Columns “A” had only been moved over about 5 foot. “B” and “C” remained in place with the gate that was installed in 1883. The side walk and street are straightened and Stop sign added on the corner of Oakwood Ave. and East Richmond Road.
2016 the Oakwood Committee widened the entranceway and stabilized the columns. Column “A” is moved almost about its original place in 1880. Column “C” is moved over about were Column “D” was in 1880. No Confederate Soldiers graves were cover up or disturbed.