A long lived department store carrying a full line of men’s and women’s wear including hats, caps, shoes, furnishing, and even a men’s and children's barber shop. Henry and Moses Levy started as immigrant german peddlers before the War Between the States. The brothers opened their store in 1861, at the Northeast corner of 3rd street and Market in corner room of a 4 story building. They prospered during the War Between the States as suppliers and after that war Levy’s brothers became the nation’s largest supplier of confederate uniforms for reunions and encampments.
The Levy family closed the Third and Market store on October 10, 1980, ends 119 years in downtown Louisville, Kentucky.